Help change a veteran’s life – volunteer with us.
A BRAVEHOUND BUDDY is a valued role and is crucial to ensure the success of each BRAVEHOUND’S future as an assistance dog.
• When BRAVEHOUND source a puppy or dog, a BRAVEHOUND BUDDY is needed to care for the puppy or dog.
• Our dogs need consistent support over the transition period, and as a BRAVEHOUND BUDDY you will be fully supported by the BRAVEHOUND team.
• The role will include caring for the welfare of the dog, socialising and helping with training the foundations of an assistance dog.
• You will need to commit to daily training with the dog of around a total of 30 minutes spread throughout the day and also attend regular training sessions.
• As the BRAVEHOUND Dog will be trained as an assistance dog, BRAVEHOUND require you to follow the guidance given in how the dog interacts with people and other dogs.
• The BRAVEHOUND dog may be with you for up to 4 months before transitioning to the veteran, but in some circumstances, this may be for a shorter period.
When a dog is placed with you, the team will support you with guidance and regular visits and check ins to help and support you with maintaining training. You will also be required to attend regular training classes and at times workshops.
Week One (intensive week): You will need to spend a day with the BRAVEHOUND training team and 2 half days as the dog settles in.
Week Two: Two 3 hour training sessions with the training team.
Week Three and Four: Two 2 hour training sessions with the training team.
Week Five and Six: Two 2 hour training sessions with the training team.
Week 6 and beyond: continuation of training on a weekly basis or more frequently as required.